Saturday, November 24, 2007

Of course it can't be

That easy, I mean. It never is, is it?

Note to self: when making abrupt dietary changes, do *not* inform the children. Just give them the new thing and cross your fingers. Boom is very resistant to the almond milk, drinking minute quantities, asking, cautiously, if this is "the new milk from downstairs." He needs fluids, but he is boycotting my efforts with the tenacity of, well, OK, his mother. Today, at my wits' end, I asked him if he would drink the Nido, if I gave it to him, and he nodded. I added one scoop of the powder to his almond milk.
"Does this still have the other stuff in it?"
@@@@@@@@@@!
"Just drink it. "
He drank some, but not all of it.

Stefan, on the other hand, who devours almonds to begin with, absolutely loves the new milk and joyously accepts it, saying, "MMMmmmMMMM, deee-lishus!"

I am thinking I am going to have to ease Boom into it. Hope it doesn't take too long.

Making nut milk also has a pain-in-the-ass factor. I have found that the nuts really should be blanched, the skins removed, otherwise, you get an ugly brown milk. It needs to be very, very well strained, and that all metal sieves are too big to catch the fine particles. If not strained properly, it maintains a gritty texture that tickles the back of the throat in a very unpleasant way.
So, I purchased a very, very finely-meshed bag, which I place on the last, and finest, strainer, pour the milk through without pushing down with anything, then leave it to settle for a while. When pouring, I'm using great care not to agitate the milk, because tiniest particles still settle on the bottom.

Also, it needs to be diluted to at least 4 parts water to 1 part milk. I have added a pinch of salt, too. I'm playing with flavors and textures. This morning I used it in my coffee (the coarse stuff from this morning, before I bought the mesh bag) and it was pretty good. I'm wondering if it needs a bit of sweetener. I guess the only way to perfect it is to compare real milk with this one, and fine tune it. Oh, and I have, soaking, raw cashews and raw pecans. We'll see which one wins.

The trick is going to be knowing what quantity to make so I will have a steady supply without going through all the steps (looks easy on the net, but you get lots of dirty dishes) every few hours.

As far as the kids are concerned, they are both very sick and have fevers. I am not tearing my hair out, but I am deeply disappointed. What was supposed to be a great, fun family long weekend has turned into bed rest, sleepless nights, and comforting miserable little boys. Boom is coughing so much that he is afraid he'll vomit.

I, too, am feeling tired and flushed. Napped with them this afternoon. Will I escape this, the third, cold without catching it?

Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

can you buy pre-made almond milk in a health food shop. I know we could get it in Australia. it sounds like a good alternative but a pain to make :)

3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home