Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Draggin'


I have been so tired lately that I can't see straight.

Literally.

I need glasses to see things that are close, but don't need any help seeing far away. The result is that I hardly ever wear the glasses, and I am getting really bad headaches. I don't know whether these are the result of boycotting the glasses, or that there is some bug knocking at my door.

I dragged myself to my skating lesson, with a pounding headache. All I really wanted to do was cancel, but I have a thing about being late and/or cancelling. There has to be a darned good reason.

It ended up being fun, but the minute the lesson was over I didn't linger. I was off the ice and going to the preschool to pick up my loves.


This afternoon I didn't feel like cooking, so no dinner for the extended family. I made the boys some paper plates loaded with goodies from the freezer, and they had a great "bed picnic," as I like to call it. No need to sit down nicely at the dinner table as usual, just cross-legged on the bed, watching TV. It's so nice and so much fun to do that once in a while. I snoozed, they ate, and everyone was happy.


I grazed today. Wasn't very hungry, just a pang here and there. I nibbled on a couple of snap peas for dinner, with a couple of bites of roast turkey breast, and it was plenty. That is because of last night's Bœuf Bourguignon. Not only was I unhappy with it (beef not tender enough, and the sauce was too sweet) but the thing takes 4 hours to prepare, spaced over two days. And it gave me the worst indigestion I've had in a while. French cooking is fabulous, but, oh, is it heavy.


I don't like the way I've been eating lately, and the dinners have been pushed mostly to 7:30PM , because my sister-in-law gets in so late from work, then there is a lot of dallying, so, many a time, I end up getting frustrated. My food gets cold, things don't taste as good, and I feel as if all that hard work is just... well, I don't know.


Then, by the time they leave and it is just the four of us, it is 8:30, it is time to start the bedtime routine. I want more time to just relax and enjoy my children, to feel as if I've actually had an evening.

Tonight, I am really, really tired. I swear, tomorrow after I take the boys to school I am driving straight home and going back to bed.

Ugh-- it is almost midnight, again. If only we didn't have to sleep.


PS--I almost forgot: I got Giada's family dinner book today. Our stomachs need a break from all those butter sauces!
There is something about this gal that I really dig :) I tried a couple of her recipes off the Food Network-- loved them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home