Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Still Going!

I have been plugging right along, as far as exercise goes.

Don't ask about the rest of my life. It's unbelievably hectic.

For now, I'm going to focus on the workouts, because those, and this blog, are the only me time I have.

Thursday, on the plane toward Vegas, I did triceps dips and lots of isometrics. You'd be surprised at just how much you can do, even sitting, if you have the work-out-or-bust mindset.
On Friday, I went to the fitness center and really ripped it up in there. I warmed up on the elliptical, and then went around the gym, using the heaviest weights I could. It was the first time ever when I did biceps curls with a 20-pound dumbbell. It was also the first time I bench pressed 70 pounds. I then used that 70-lb barbell to do some serious squats. I did French presses with 25 pounders. Yeah, me!

It was definitely nice to be in a gym again, with other sweaty, grunting humans. Interesting that I was one of three women, and the rest of the people in there were men. The women didn't touch one weight, just walked endlessly on the treadmill (I detest the treadmill) and did a few abs on the exercise balls. A few of the men stayed on the elliptical on and on, and one was throwing and swinging free weights so badly that I felt guilty for not telling him that he could really hurt himself like that.

Because I've read that slowing down can make your weight training more effective, I did all my reps very verrrry sloooowlyyyyy. I focused on form, made every move count. It was great.
After about an hour, I really felt that I had earned my long, hot shower, plus some time in the steam room and then the sauna.

Later that day, I took a deep breath and attempted to pull on my smaller-size swimsuit. I bought it years ago from Lands'End (before they became the evil Sears) but had never managed to get into it. I grabbed it for this trip, telling myself that if I can't fit into it, I won't show my porky self at the pool.

Lo and behold, I fit into it. And what's more, I was pretty happy with the way I looked in a swimsuit, something that has not happened in a very long time.


Saturday, AF showed up, so I decided to let shopping be my exercise. We walked quite a bit, and it was a good thing, too, because I discovered a Teuscher chocolate store at the Aladdin Mall. Holy mackerel-- truffles flown in straight from Switzerland. Chocolate nirvana, people!

Sunday we returned home, and I did more exercises on the plane.

Monday I was out and about all day, getting Boomer out of the house.

Tuesday, I did nothing.

Today, at 10:30 AM, I marched myself to the basement and did The Firm, Volume 4- 1994.

I modified some sections to fit in more abs. Because I was rested, I could really push it, and by the end of it, I was seriously wiped. The only problem was, I was tired for the rest of the day. I really should not exercise in the morning; it just doesn't turn out well for me. Because I work out like a demon and exhaust myself, I need to do it a few hours before I can crash.

Which is exactly what I'm going to do after I publish this entry: crash.

I never knew the meaning of the word tired until I had kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home