Thursday, September 27, 2007

Hello, TMD


Today I thought I'd try a fun way of doing cardio: ice skating.


I bought a warm vest, cheapie skates, purchased a ticket to the local ice rink, and stepped onto the ice, something I had not done in, oh, 20 years. The last time I regularly skated, however, was 1974.


Wobbly at first, I gradually gained my "ice legs," and was doing really well until I hit a dip in the ice with my toe pick. Instead of letting myself fall forward, as I should have, I tried to keep from falling, resulting in slipping backwards, slamming the back of my skull on the ice, and screwing up my right elbow (yes, the one I previously injured falling on, ironically, ice.) Immediately, I felt pain in my ears.
Long story short: I somehow injured my temporomandibular joint. Both sides hurt, right in front of my ears and over my jaw when I move my mouth, chew, or even swallow.
I will refrain from using the f-word here today. But you can bet it is all I have been thinking for the past 3 hours, since this happened, as I slowly but surely get a doozy of a headache.
My husband is away on business until tomorrow evening.
The good part of this? I won't be able to eat without pain, so I guess my food intake will be lower.
Ha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home