Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Hello, Elie Tahari

I love Marshall's.
When I was a college student with 20 bucks to her name, I wrote my first check to Marshall's, from my new bank account, for a pillow, a towel, and a pair of sneakers. Which, of course, wiped out my entire bank account :)

I still shop there today, because I love a good bargain, and I love getting maximum value for our hard-earned cash. To me, money represents sacrifice and work, and I will be damned if I will show lack of respect by spending it carelessly. Besides, there is a thrill-of-the-hunt quality to Marshall's shopping that feeds the inner beast in me.

Today I took a rare day out by myself, because Stefan and Boomer really needed pants and there is no way I can concentrate if I have the little ones with me. I've been to the store 3 times this month, but never alone, and never successful. I hit pay dirt this time: several Polo pants for both boys (they run small in the waist, so they're exactly what I was hoping to find) one Eddie Bauer outfit for Stefan, a Puma sweat jacket with hood for Boomer, and two adorable white, snap-crotch long sleeved shirts, with fire engines, for Stefan.
Because I only have one pair of jeans that fits, I ventured over to the Petites section, hoping to find a second pair like the one I was wearing. As usual, I grabbed several pairs that looked good, for trying on at home (I hate fitting rooms; whoever designed the garish, flaw-revealing lighting in them should be clubbed with the clue-by-four) but one, in particular, caught my eye. The material felt fluid and smooth, the color was a gorgeous dark indigo, and the tailoring looked nicer than what I usually wear... so I glanced at the price tag.
40 dollars.
At Marshall's. I looked at the price on the original tag and did a double-take. $188.
Holy mackerel! (That expression never fails to make me smile :)
$188 for jeans?
I put them back, but at the last minute, I tossed them in my cart. What the hell. They are a size 8, and they probably won't fit anyway. I'll just take them home for fun, and return them.
Tonight, after both boys went to bed, I tried on four pairs of jeans. None fit right, one was very stiff. Last of all, I tried the fifth, twice-the-price pair.
The label said TAHARI.
I shrugged. Meant nothing to me.
As soon as I put one foot into the leg, I knew I was trying on something very special. Ohhhh... never in my life have I felt denim that actually caresses the skin. These things just slid right on, molded themselves to me, and buttoned closed as if they had been custom-tailored to fit my body.
I ran to the mirror, turned, and smiled like the Cheshire Cat. Hellooooo, Ta-ha-ree!

After checking the net, I now know that Elie Tahari is one of "the best names in fashion" and carried at Nordstrom and Needless Markup.

And look at what Nordstrom says about fit:

"
We recommend you order Elie Tahari styles according to our
general size chart. However, because styles run small, order
one size up if you are between sizes."

These things are not going back. Nuh-uh. On my running smaller than 8 butt they are staying.



PS-- I did Core Secrets tonight. Here is Boomer imitating me, with his exercise ball, LOL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home