Thursday, August 09, 2007

Doctor Z halts Pilates


The SI pain got much worse this morning and I went to see yet another chiropractor, the one who cured my sister-in-law's sciatica. Very thorough and knowledgeable (former anatomy professor) and he has been treating backs for over 20 years. The consultation and exam took over an hour.

Bad news: the SI joint is inflamed and I have some other mid-spinal and neck issues going on, which are going to require lots of ice packs and treatments 3 times a week. The first one is Tuesday at 10.


Here is the nearly impossible part: he said to stay off my feet for 2 weeks (GAH!) That means no walking and, of course, no Pilates.

So, I am going to have to cancel next week's classes. No yoga, either. The funny thing is that he suggested I need to lose about 30 pounds. Yah-- as if I didn't already know it. And how the heck am I gonna lose my 30 pounds if I am put on bedrest?


The good news: he said he had a patient with the exact same problem, who is now into kickboxing. He said he is confident that he can get me back to full-power exercise.


So, I will be doing a lot of reading to my boys.

And a lot of thinking about how absolutely blessed I am to have only a minor problem that isn't life-threatening.


'Cause lately, I have been thinking a lot about life, and the cards we each are dealt. How there are no guarantees, and how each day is a very precious gift to be savored and enjoyed.

I want to slow down time, and grab as much of it is as I possibly can. Make every day a joyous event, full of happiness and laughter and love.


I want to be physically and emotionally able to do things that delight, entertain and educate my sons. I want to tackle my problems with a positive outlook and a confident smile on my face.


And go to bed each night thinking that, yes, I *am* the mother I wish I had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home